My favorite current thing. When I tell or ask Darwin to do something she is amenable to, she will say “Okay. I will. Good luck. Bye!” It’s equal parts hilarious and adorable. Partly because I have no idea where it came from.
1) We went to the aquarium for the first time with the girls and our good friends. The fish, jellyfish, sea pens, sea otters, octopus, sharks, and more were a huge hit. There was much running and yelling and looking and epic joy on the kids’ faces. We even enjoyed (actually ENJOYED) dinner afterwards with three kids under three! A four adult to three kids ratio is pretty decent.
2) Darwin thanked me for washing her clothes for her. She saw that her favorite purple shirt was in the clean clothes this evening and without prompting made my heart explode in pride and love when she said ‘thank you for washing my shirt mama, it’s my most favorite.’
3) I cleaned about 10% of the house while caring for both girls on my own for three hours so Leah could dig herself a few inches out of the grad school work pit. It involved making lunch, a potty accident on a booster chair that was my fault, and about 15 minutes of shape matching video games while I put Linnea down for a nap that lasted about 25 minutes. Overall it was a win.
4) It snowed today, but did not stick.
5) Darwin woke up this morning and I said “I love you” to which she replied “no.” I asked what she meant and she said “I don’t love you. But I love Linnea best.” This shockingly did not hurt because it’s so clear from her actions that she would still like to be able to stitch herself to me so I could never be far away. The sister love here slays me daily.
MamaLee passed me the torch for Linnea’s seven month update (now that she is nearly seven-and-a-half months old…I blame PhD coursework hell), so yay! I get to do a monthly update!
Seven months. I can’t even. This kid is hilarious. She growls constantly, grins like a maniac (and definitely has Leah’s smile – one of the reasons I fell in love with my wife), and she loves food like it’s going out of style.
So a seven for seven list (my favorite kind of update):
- Crawling. Officially. On hands and knees. She started scooting backwards at Thanksgiving (yeah, 4.5 months and this kid was already moving!). Slowly but surely she made her way towards a full crawl. Nothing in this house is safe (as I’ve said before). There is still a strong preference for the full-body army crawl, as she is much faster and slick wooden floors don’t slow her down, but she regularly chooses to get up onto her hands a knees when on carpet. I suspect we may also see her walking early.
- “Dadadaadada, bababababa, eeeeeeeeee!!” Linnea loves to make noise with her mouth, throat (“rrrawr”), and any toys she can bang together or throw. She is a loud baby and can get the attention of an entire room in record time!
- Bounce, bounce baby. She loves to hold hands and bounce like crazy. Pick her up and her feet are moving. This sweet kid never stops moving, except when she’s asleep.
- Baby wearing is our (Leah’s) best friend with Linnea. She loves it, and she takes naps that last longer than 30 minutes when she’s being worn. She gets excited when we pull out the wrap, or the Tula. The only time she’s unhappy can typically be solved by a putting her on our backs.
- Teeth! We’re up to 3 (.5). Bottom two front teeth came in a couple of months ago, and the top two are nearly through. We’re all hoping her whining ends around the time the teeth come in, and it’s hopeful primarily because a dose of infant ibuprofen tonight brought back our happy-go-lucky little girl tonight! We’re stocking up and putting the teethers in the freezer for the next year and a half (ish).
- Clothes. We’re on to 18 month clothing.
- Big sister Darwin is little sister Linnea’s FAVORITE ANYTHING EVER. Any time Darwin smiles at, talks to, walks past, take a toy away from, gives a toy to….you get the idea, Linnea lights up like a Solstice tree. This kid just adores her big sister.
I find myself forgetting a lot of the little things that I used to write in my monthly updates, so I thought I’d jot down a few tonight while Darwin is falling asleep.
Darwin’s current favorite activity has to be gymnastics, or anything to do with hopping, running, or tumbling. She runs with her little friends. She is forging new friendships through chase games that are really just running running running together. I love seeing her use her body so confidently.
Linnea is in a hurry to be able to keep up and began crawling last week. Considering that she started moving backwards at 4.5 months, this is not terribly surprising to me. Nothing in our house is safe, including big sister’s toys.
Darwin loves her sister, but the level of adoration that shines from Linnea’s face the second she catches sight or sound of her sister is just awesome. In the mornings, Linnea often wakes Leah up before Darwin wakes me up, so Darwin says “where’s baby Winnea and MamaLee?” First thing almost every morning. And Linnea bounces and grins and shrieks when she sees her sister is awake. These siblings are delightful.
On the less pleasant side of things, Darwin has had some epic tantrums this week, mostly sleep related. A 45 minute screaming yelling crying episode on Wednesday night, in which nothing worked to help her calm down and she finally just raged out and fell asleep nursing. An hour in the middle of the night crying and telling and kicking me (mostly crying and yelling after I removed her to the living room so she wouldn’t wake Leah and Linnea again). Then today she napped for nearly three hours (she has done this fewer than 5 times in her life) and woke up happy. I’m hopeful that more care in making sleep a priority will help her with the ability to control her emotional state just a little bit more.
Darwin can count now, rather than just listing numbers, and regularly identifies how many of a given thing are present. She hugs her friends happily, whereas she almost always used to say no. When she likes a suggestion she says ‘yes, that’s a grand idea. I think so.’
Linnea is still better at sleeping than her sister, although teething has given us a run for our money (up to three this week! 21 more to go…). She has taken to growling very persistently at…everything. broccoli is at the top of her favorite food list.
In a whisper from the bed.
“I tooted.” Pause. “I tooted again.”