It’s been over a week now that Albie turned 18 months old. Both impossible to believe, and obvious because he’s got the personality, opinions, temper, and persistence of an 18 month old.
Albie in 18 points:
1) Talks constantly and well. He’s at 8-12 word sentences regularly now, which is great for him communicating things like “Albert doesn’t want [insert offensive person/food/object]! Go away!” Flip side is that he regularly tells me that he loves me.
2) Running everywhere! It always amazes me that these little creatures go from immobile to full on running so rapidly. He started walking at 13 months. He now runs anywhere he can, particularly away from diapers.
3) Singing, though mostly telling me what to sing, and it’s usually either Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Old MacDonald, ABC’s, or Jingle Bells.
4) Albert has an amazing sense of humor. He says things that are silly, then looks at me for a laugh. He runs away shrieking “Little Stinker!” He is funny and he knows it.
5) He remains big. At his 18 month well check he was 26 lbs, 32.5 inches tall, and with a head circumference in the 98th percentile that had the tech check 3 times.
6) Walks outside are sanity saving with COVID so limiting his interactions with other kids. At least he has his sisters around half the time – they’re so rambunctious that sometimes I think he’s relieved for a little space when it comes though.
7) Love for Darwin and Linnea abounds. He lights up when he sees them, gives all the hugs, and is generally happiest when following them around.
8) Still nursing regularly. I’ll encourage it until well after my COVID vaccine. Not that this milk monster needs encouragement.
9) Eating all the food still. He loves variety and eats a lot, most of the time. Some days he doesn’t fill up on solids and ends up nursing all night long. 😴
10) Another reader in the works. Albie loves books just like his sisters. Books about owls, birds generally, trucks, and anything silly (Goodnight Moon, for example) are preferred. We’re at the stage of reading single books over and over and over again.
11) Dancing. The girls are very in to dancing around the room, and Albie is right there with them!
12) Ice cream. He knows it, he loves it. He would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if it were up to him.
13) Clingy. Albert never went through a strong clingy phase at the 9ish month mark. But now there’s a regular whine for mama that takes on a particular tone when he is tired, or overwhelmed, or just wants a snuggle.
14) Naps suck. I’m very glad my parents are supporting his afternoon naps because he’s much more pleasant, and goes down for me about 1 in 10 attempts.
15) Coloring with pens! Crayons are ok, but getting to use one of mamas pens is definitely the best option.
16) Saying goodnight. At the end of a long day, I’ll ask if he’s ready for bed. Often he’ll say no, wanting to finish up some game, or just get used to the idea of bedtime. A few minutes later he’ll be ready and is very clear that he must say goodnight to Grandma and Opa with a cute, enthusiastic little wave. He’s by far the easiest of three the to take to bed at this age. I directly link that to the fact that I rarely work at night so we often go to bed at the same time and snuggle.
17) Bubbles from a bubble machine are probably his favorite activity.
18) Must smell all the flowers. He definitely got my sense of smell!